By: Katie Kilgallen-Class of 2017
- Always have snacks. Brain food is important, so the first thing on my Finals Survival check list is to stack up on some delicious snacks to stuff in your backpack and sneak into James A. Cannavino. My go-to snack is always the Marist bakery chocolate-chip muffins from the Starbucks kiosk in the Library. For a healthier route, try an apple or some almonds! Food keeps you focused!
- Wear something comfortable. Comfort is key, so throw on your favorite River + Stone joggers and get cozy with your computer. Nobody wants to be distracted by an uncomfortable ensemble when they are trying to focus on writing that research paper. Plus, the library can get a little chilly around this time of year!
- Take a little break. It’s important to keep yourself from getting overwhelmed by taking breaks in between your long study sessions. Get up from your chair and take a short walk around the library, or step outside to catch some fresh air and admire the Marist Christmas tree. If you’re really burnt out, take a nap! Studies have shown that napping for approximately 15 to 30 minutes in between work intervals can boost productivity.
- Turn off your phone. I know, this one is tough. I am always guilty of procrastinating for hours on Instagram rather than studying for the exam I have in 8 hours. But, turning your phone off (or even on silent) will remove the temptation to procrastinate and allow you to get your work done much faster. Don’t worry, once finals are over, you’ll have plenty of time to check out the @maristmporium Instagram!
- Remember, you can do this. Whenever you start to feel discouraged or stressed, remember that you are brilliant and that your hard work WILL pay off. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and Winter Break is right around the corner! You is kind, you is smart, and you is important. Now get out there and slay those final exams!!!
My favorite River + Stone Study Outfit:
My study essentials consist of my ridiculously comfortable vintage Reynard Fox thermal (from the River + Stone 2014-2015 collection), my warm and cozy River + Stone joggers, and my River + Stone coffee mug (filled to the brim with a Mocha coffee from the Starbucks kiosk in the library).